Breastmilk is best collected by hand expression or with a manual or electric breast pump.
- Handwashing with soap and water is a must before the expression of breastmilk. Use a clean towel to dry your hands
- Your equipment need to be clean and free of dust or debris.
- Donors are allowed to supply milk pre-packaged in non NBMB containers.
- Use polypropylene or polycarbonate plastic containers with a tight fitting lid
- Use breast milk storage bags.
- Rinse glass/plastic collection bottles with hot boiling water before collection and storage of breastmilk.
- Avoid sterilizing agents and anti-bacterial soaps
- Do not mix warm freshly expressed breastmilk with milk already refrigerated.
- Containers must be clearly marked with the donor name, date of expression and date of freezing
- Only frozen breastmilk is accepted by the NBMB